Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer of Plans

So! It has definitely been a while since the last time I wrote. I have some very good news that I have been wanting to share for the last week and a half or so. First of all, let's start with summer plans!

Community Service Plans:
  • So far, this week is my second week helping out at Christ the King School - my old elementary school. I worked last week, which was the last week of school for the students at Christ the King. And this week is the first week of summer school there, so I have another three weeks to go after this week. Busy, busy bees.
  • Also, I plan on going back to PATH: People Assisting the Homeless this summer. The participants at PATH have oatmeal for breakfast everyday, so I hope that if I can raise some funds I can do a special pancake breakfast for them some day, like a Friday or Saturday if possible.

Work/Internship Plans:

  • I got an internship with Citizen LA!!! I'm so excited to keep working. My first job was on Thursday, June 11. It was at an "artpark" event in Downtown. The Art Park is held on the second Thursday of each month and it is an event in which artists of all different kinds who produce all different types of art using an array of different media come together and display/sell their artwork. It is a PR internship, so I will be working closely with people and coordinating events. I was also told that I might be useful in updating blogs, myspaces and facebooks for the magazine, which I think would be excellent since I am a part of all of those. I may also be working on Twitter, which I have yet to make myself familiar with. So, basically, I am really excited about that internship.
  • I also got an internship with BP.!!! I am now a part of the BP. Fashion Board, which is extremely exciting!!! There are an amazing array of opportunities available for me in terms of working with BP. There's a lot to tell and all I have breath enough to talk about this week is about what BP. is. It is a teen clothing store and the internship is based on fashion and marketing. Therefore, I think that it is amazing that I got internship with both Citizen LA and BP. because both have fashion coverage in common! Yay!

Academic Plans:

  • This summer I am required to read two books; it is quite likely that I will read more than two books over the summer, but I thought that this would be a fitting time to introduce them to you since I will be posting my own opinions on the books and personal analysis of the books once I have finished reading them. The books are Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.
  • In addition to completing summer reading, I am reading the first few chapters of my AP Art History textbook in advance in order to get a head start for next year, which, considering is going to be my senior year, will be a difficult one full of stress and anxiety if I don't have a heads-up. I will fill you in with more on why - specifically - I am doing this in advance another time.

Other Activities:

  • In addition to the other activities which I will be doing this summer, I will also be exercising rigorously! I am going to participate in a program called Jr. Lifeguard which will be everyday this summer. The program is focused on training young individuals to become lifeguards, and participants aged 17 years and older (yay! I'm 17!) will be taking a test in September to certify them as lifeguards, which may give me a heads up on part-time pool/lifeguarding jobs in college.
  • Also, if I have time, I will be participating in a youth CSI program, which at the end of the summer pays $200 and valuable learning experience! I am so pumped!

So, as far as that goes, it seems as though I will be quite busy this summer.

Just a heads-up, these will be the next posts you should keep an eye out for. Look for them in the next few weeks:

BP. Fashion Board - An in-detail look at just what the BP. Fashion Board is all about and everything that goes with it.

An Early Start to AP Art History - A look at why I am starting ahead and why not doing so may jeopardize everything I've tried to build in my high school career.

Thalia - All The While Wasting the English Language

No comments:

Post a Comment